I was the Preschool and Lower School Director at The Swain School from September, 1987 - June, 2008
Food / Cooking being a Passion of mine…..
For the School's 60th Anniversary, I volunteered my time to compiling an Anniversary Cookbook!
To this day…. People still comment to me about how they refer to it for some favorites!
The cookbook is out-of-print so….I will be sharing some of the recipes on this blog that I / our family submitted and...
some of our favorites from our Swain friends!
Submitted by The Lipsky Family: "TRUE" CAESAR SALAD*created by Caesar Cardini at Caesar's Hotel in Tijuana, Mexico in 1924
- 2 heads of romaine, washed, dried
- and refrigerated at least 8 hours
- 3/4 cup garlic flavored oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, freshly ground
- 1 large lemon, halved
- 6 - 8 drops Worcestershire sauce
- 2 coddled eggs
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup croutons
- wooden salad bowl
GARLIC FLAVORED OLIVE OIL
- put 4-5 cloves of garlic in mixture of 1 1/2 cup olive oil and 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- cover and let set 4 -5 days - remove garlic.
- bring water to a boil, add eggs.
- Remove pan from heat - after 1 minute remove eggs from water and set aside.
- take 2 day old bread - remove crusts - cut into 25 squares.
- Place in roasting pan and dribble with 3/4 cup garlic flavored oil, flip to coat.
- Bake at 350 (degree oven) for 30 minutes, flipping cubes every 5 minutes.
- Place romaine in salad bowl and toss with 1/2 cup oil (using a waving motion).
- Add salt and pepper, toss again.
- Add lemons, Worcestershire sauce, break eggs over salad, add remaining 1/4 cup oil and cheese and toss again.
- Add croutons last and toss lightly.
After gathering ingredients, make this in front of your guests at the table.
Arrange leaves on a dinner plate stem side out - this makes it easier to eat with fingers!!
*Submitted by The Lipsky Family to The Swain School - 60 Years of Traditions and Family Recipes in 1989